An Open Letter To My Twitter Followers

Here’s what sucks about this post… I have to take time to write it at all. For over three years I’ve established friendships, I’ve acquired acquaintances, and there are a number of you I would jump in the middle of a monkey knife fight for. Yet, it seems I’ve pissed ONE person off so I feel the need to write this post.

Currently I have over 42,000 followers and I cherish all of you. However, it makes it hard to respond to each and every one of you. There is nothing more in my heart I’d like to do than to interact with all of you on a constant basis.

Any time I have a post I’ve put up on either my personal site or on the RomanceUniversity.org site, I will send out Tweets to about 200 of my closest followers. Two weeks ago, one of my first followers sent me a rather vial tweet regarding the fact I sent her a tweet asking for her opinion on a post. For the previous three years (yes I’ve done the math) I have suggested people follow her 1,003 times. I have asked her opinion on a post of mine 39 times. I have retweeted her 497 times. And, honestly, haven’t favorited a single tweet of hers.

Perhaps she’s going through something or maybe she finally chose to speak up, I’m not 100% certain. What I am certain about is that I absolutely refuse to upset any one of my friends, fans, or followers. There are less than .05% of you who receive a direct request from me. You truly are my inner circle. The ones I cherish the most, the ones I respect without doubting your intention. I don’t care if you have 1 follower or 1 million. Within the last three years I’ve learned where your heart lies and I’ll champion it with you.

I have proven myself in helping to promote other artists on my Twitter timeline as well as my blog. Quite frankly, I’ve promoted others before myself. I’m not looking for a pat on the back here I’m simply stating a fact. I’m a HUGE promoter of others. Which is why I was so pissed to get the tweet I received by someone I had helped for over 36 months.

She jumped down my throat with a “how dare you send me…” blah, blah, blah tweet. I took it in stride and rather stupidly replied to it. I received an electronic earful afterward to the point of twitter-blocking one of my first followers.

Once she was blocked, she infiltrated my FaceBook page and needed to be blocked from there as well.

I’ve been told these are the things to expect as my book comes to fruition. Yet…I’m not of the heart to piss someone off. Therefore, this is my appeal to those reading this…

I have a VERY thick skin. If you don’t want to be within my inner circle of friends, DM me and I’ll take you off my list. No harm no foul. And definitely no ill feelings. Guaranteed. However, if you are reading this and WANT to be added to my inner 2% then DM me and I’ll add you.

Social Media is an education in flux. We are all learning. We are all bobbing and weaving, depending on the circumstances…understandably. My purpose with this post is that I don’t want anyone who doesn’t want to be here to be here. Tell me, bow out, run. I don’t judge. What I do do is support, promote, help for the lifetime of…anyone who sticks around.

Loyalty is in my DNA. Quite frankly, to a fault. Ask around.

So to those who wish to stick around…Thank You from the bottom of my heart. I promise to bring these posts back to Romance, Love, and Lust in the coming weeks and months. If you have something you would like a light shined on, let me know and I’ll help you out as best I can. (On a side note…I don’t spam or help others to.)  Books, Blogs, Poetry, Articles, etc are the things I’ll help with.

I will ask that you send me your request directly through Twitter though. Or even my email for those of you who have it. If you simply mention it in your timeline, unless I happen to be looking at Twitter at the moment, I’ll miss it. You can add either @DanceOfRomance or @The_Real_HH into your tweet and I’ll get it.

When I started on Twitter three years ago, it was easy to keep up. Now…not so much. I apologize if something you wanted me to either comment on or reply to fell through the cracks. It wasn’t intentional.

Now that I have that off my chest, I’m going to hit the gym and release the rest of it there. I have a post coming up on Friday the 6th at RomanceUniversity.org. I’ll be tweeting my 2% with a link to my post and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

As always, if there is anything I can do for any of you, please let me know.

HH Sig.jpg

37 Responses to “An Open Letter To My Twitter Followers”

• Marcie says:

Hey Handsome,

Don’t let the response of one person get you down. Even though you’ve invested time in this individual, you still have the support of the 1.99999999999%, including me. I may be late to respond, but I got’chu.

And yes, you will get more opposition as you get closer to seeing your dream come to life. Just hold tight to the people who support you to the fullest. Stay encouraged and be blessed.

• Liz Clark (@madbushfarm) says:

“there are a number of you I would jump in the middle of a monkey knife fight for.”

And I’d do the same for you HH. Don’t let one person upset you. Sorry one person took offence. You meant no harm. Chin up and smile I say. Don’t let the little things get you down.

• P.m.terrell says:

I agree with Marcie. Whatever is going on with that woman, I have no doubt that it has more to do with her than it has to do with you. The fact that she followed you to Facebook after you blocked her from Twitter says she is under tremendous stress – and much more than is warranted from your tweets. Count your blessings you found out about her now and know that you have thousands of people who love your tweets, Facebook posts, blog posts and Internet presence in general. Focus on those, and you’ll be alright. We love you, HH.

• HH says:

Awwww Trish. You love me? :) I’m having a Sally Field moment right now. :)

It was obvious she had something going on and I became the target that day. It’s best to cut it off quick so I did.

Thanks for everything!

HH

• joan torres says:

WELL DONE .. the word bi-polar probably falls into the equation someplace. I’m still a newbie at Twitter and my site seems to be a place for people to just advertise and retweet their stuff, so I have pretty much given up on it. My husband uses the phrase … you are one of the only people I would want in a fox-hole with me …. same intent.
    It feels good to vent though, I have to do it every once in a while just to blow off steam and maintain my sanity….usually I have the opportunity to do it with Customer Dis-service calls or chat sessions with people with an iq of 2 below plant level.
    Just keep on truckin’…..
    Jo-An

• HH says:

Joan,

I agree. The need to vent happens every few months with me. Usually on a day when I am deluged with stupid people. Thankfully, this is the only time something like this has happened.

Thanks for commenting!

HH

• Stacey says:

Good afternoon HH,

I am so sorry that happened but don’t let it get you down. Even if it did suddenly bother them, there are better ways to go about doing things other than publicly trying to humiliate you. That was uncalled for. I aways try to help when I can and appreciate the FFs sent out my way. I am honored to be in your 2% and will remain there. =)

• Elizabeth says:

To the beautifully romantic HH, you will always have my support. I know you have been really busy working on your book, so I am delighted when I do hear from you, even though it has been rather infrequent of late. But I am looking forward to the fruition of all your labors. Peace, Love …and Burn The Witch!

• HH says:

Elizabeth,

LOL! Love it! I will be back full-time on social media as of today. I’ve really missed all the dancing. :) And thanks so much for including me in your online newspaper. It means a lot to me.

HH

• Pucci Laveau (@poochie7060) says:

So sorry you were attacked by this venomous person. Sometimes we’re made to see the “real side” of people we thought we knew well. Her viewpoint is ???????????? representative of mine! I love & treasure you, your tweets, blog, words and dances! Hope I’m always a part of your inner circle, Sweet Guy! ?

• HH says:

Pucci!

Seeing you here always brings a smile to my face. :)

Thanks for your unwavering support. You are in my top .0002% much less 2%.

(Love the word “venomous”) :)

HH

• Susan Sloate says:

HH – I’m so sorry this has blindsided you. (I know how that feels.) I think you’re a cool guy, and I’m grateful for every time you’ve favorited a tweet of mine or re-tweeted it or mentioned me in a tweet. (I also feel a little guilty; I feel like I’m drowning in social media most of the time and you seem to handle it all with such savoir faire!)

Anyway, hang in there, and please, add me to your 2%. (Yes, it’s a formal request.) I’m proud of you, and I think your post to all of us was a very classy gesture.

Well done.

• HH says:

Susan,

Blindsided is the perfect word for it. Had it been a random Twitter follower, that would be one thing. This was a friend. Or so I thought. It was weird, that’s all. So I had to do what I do. Write about it! :)

HH

And you’ll always be in my 2%.

• Terence Towles Canote says:

I’m sorry this happened to you. There are some not so nice people out there. I once had someone follow me and then in the intervening weeks unfollow me. I continued to mention her in my Follow Friday tweets. It was then she rather rudely told me to stop mentioning her in my Follow Friday tweets and behaved as if it was an effort to get her to follow me. It was the first time I’d even encountered something like that. To be honest, once I got to thinking about it, I felt sorry for her. She can’t be a very happy person if she’s going to jump down someone’s throat for something that minor!

• HH says:

Terence,

Thanks for the thoughts and comments. I have that happen a lot too. Where someone will follow me, friend me, then drop me like a bad habit all within a couple of weeks. I’ve learned to be a bit more careful with who I support. There was more than a few times when I would mention someone all week long for others to follow and when I checked the friendship status it turns out they weren’t following me anymore.

With those circumstances I had an “oh well” attitude about it. This one however turned it personal which was weird.

Hang in there Terence! We’ll all figure it out someday. :)

HH

• I appreciate you, HH. Be well!

• Soraya says:

Dearest, sweetest and only big brother of mine,

I went through a roller coaster of emotions reading your post.

I’m sorry you experienced this and I honestly don’t know what to say about this other then that I find you one of the nicest, sweetest, caring and giving people in my life.

I’m loyal to you, I hope you know that.

Even though I have left Twitter, it is the place where I hold fond memories and one of those was meeting you and I hope you’ll stay in my life for many more years to come in any way, shape or form.

I care about you and you have a special place in my heart. I love you, H.

• HH says:

Soraya, Soraya, Soraya…

I’ve been concerned about you because you went rogue on me a while back.

However, as your older brother I have trusted you and you always come around.

You were one of the first followers I had which I really connected with. You are the only one who occupies the little sister section of my heart and it will remain that way.

I’m sorry you are off Twitter yet I know you have my email and it’s yours to use as freely as you wish. I mean that. I expect that. (Your older brother speaking here!)

I love you too, S.

HH

Email me.

• Tamara says:

I’m a recent follower and would like to continue being one. Your RU posts are thought-provoking yet hilarious at the same time.

Clearly in this person’s case, the term “adult” is used loosely. It’s a shame people can’t just appreciate others’ success.

You’re a class act so brush it off and keep going.

• HH says:

Tamara,

You’re in. You’ve been in. :)

And thanks for the kind words. They mean a lot to me.

Yes, “Adult” was used very loosely.

Thanks again,
      HH

• You’re my hero, Handsome – no worries – we got this. Just folks just need better, less judgmental hobbies. :-D

• ~J says:

HH,

Reading accounts such as this is always sad; I’m sorry you had to go through this. And, I’m sorry for your loss.
    I want to be here, and really enjoy reading your thoughts and insights on things. Everything else is truly added bonuses/blessings; and only special people like you
    do that for people. It’s sad that some choose to turn and bite the hand that helps them.
    Please dont let it change you, or harden your precious heart.

Sincerely,
    ~J

• HH says:

J,

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I’ve added you to my 2%. Not sure why you weren’t already there!

I have thick skin, that includes the area around my heart. I’ll be fine. :)

HH

• Cath says:

Well, gee HH, how persnickety can a person get? I am amazed at how personally some people take this social media thing. Like standing in a crowded room trying to interact personally with other people, there is no WAY you can talk to everyone individually. I see Twitter as a throw it out there and let it land where it will type of interaction. I don’t respond to every tweet, not even the ones addressed personally to me. Simply because I have a life, and a job, and those come first.

I write for my own pleasure, read for my own pleasure, and tweet what means something to me. And I don’t care who unfollows, unfriends, or blocks me. There is enough to stress over in life, without getting bent out of shape over social media. Miss Persnickety needs to simmer down. :)

Bravo to you for your honesty HH. I’ll keep following and retweeting you for the same reason I have been. Because I like you, and what you write is refreshing and honest, and I enjoy reading your posts. Best of luck to you in all your endeavors. :)

• Yasmin says:

Awww Handsome, it sucks that this happened to you. I may not be the best tweety bird out there, but I want you to know i enjoy your tweets and the sense of community you create. So monkey knife fight or no monkey knife fight I’m in. (I’ll come armed with bananas)

Love the angry bird kicking bird ~ now that’s out of the way here is an old fashioned ((((Handsome)))!

• HH,
    Hey you! Oh wow! I’m completely surprised by this blog. When I saw the tweet, I forwarded the link to myself as I always do if I don’t have time to read. This way I can avoid forgetting.

Now, back to this blog. I’m assuming I’m part of this 2% and wouldn’t have it any other way. I love reading your blogs and I’m an advocate of supporting my fellow writers as well. Funny thing is, I posted something similar to this just last night. I am a very loyal person as well and you’re right often we give out loyalty to those that are undeserving.

You have never bombarded my timeline with frivolous tweets so whatever went up this person’s ass on this specific day to go to the extreme to attempt to discredit your intentions…it’s not worth it. I couldn’t believe you had that many followers; congrats! We’ve established out rapport via Twitter so I’m happy to know that amongst such a large number we found our way to each other.

You have been a dear friend to me and and I value you both on a personal and professional level.

You can’t please everyone and at the end of the day all you can do is be the best you. It’s a new day and I’m turning over a new leaf as well.

I await 12/6 for the romance blogs. Cheers pal!

• Mary Metcalfe says:

Hi HH! Realized I haven’t been in touch lately and wanted to reach out after reading this blog. Somehow, my subscription to your blog went dormant. I’m back on. Sorry you went through that troll business. There is so much of it these days. But, to come from someone you supported/trusted is a low blow indeed. I’m still out here just not as active on Twitter as I used to be due to work and other commitments. Happy New Year! Hope 2014 is a great one for you. Cheers!

Flirt With Me

Handsome Hansel (Your Host)
Visit my "About Me" page for more titillating information.
Enjoy!   HH
Why Wait?
Perfectmatch.com Special Offer
Sexy, Exotic Lingerie - Netpinky.com 125x125 $25 Off $100 or More
Harlequin eBooks. Smile More. We put the sparkle in your I Do! The Bridal Jewelry Store
Dance of Romance Delivered